11.08.2017

Padres


I am most fortunate in that in addition to my incredible father - who you by know affectionately know as Big Teddy - I have two additional dads, Nathan and Keith. Upon moving to Charlotte in 2009, I was a single gal living uptown and had established a comforting ritual of venturing to my local Starbucks every Sunday morning. I was encouraged by many to 'put myself out there' so Sunday coffee seemed quite innocuous. On one such morning, I bumped into Nathan while waiting in line. I commented on his bracelets, which looked like Hermes, and perhaps awkwardly regaled him of a colorful narrative of my amazing cousin Annabel, married to my South African cousin Graham, who lives in London and wears near identical bracelets on her arm to match her Hermes watch. 

Generously, he asked where I hailed from and I responded I had just moved to the Queen City from New York City. A very favorite place of theirs he told me, and thus, a spectacular connection was made. Nathan invited me to grab my coffee to join he and his husband, Keith, to continue our conversation. This most fortuitous coffee encounter quickly became a tradition and each week, I counted down days to dates on Tryon Street or wherever else to drink coffee or whatever and amuse about life with two wonderful gentlemen who would become my second dads. There was plenty of verve and livery in between. We learned more about and met each other's families. I spent my first Charlotte Halloween with them people watching (which is a grand understatement) at the Epicenter following a night on the town. We took trips to the farmers market. Dinners and cocktails followed. We attended street festivals and traveled on the Lynx enjoying libations in Starbucks cups. 

I quickly learned of Keith's incredible acumen in the kitchen. A CIA trained chef and multiple former restauranteur, Keith quickly became my go-to for all things gastronomy and cooking. This includes but is not limited to recipes, spices, dishes, critiques, how to clean a cast iron skillet, how to deseed a cucumber, what to do and not to do, and everything in between. When I have a dinner party, I run the menu by him. More often than not, he has a sly recommendation or tweak that catapults my food to the next level. And then some; I respect and value his opinions on all matters really. 

Did you know you should never cook lamb unless you know people love it? Restaurant grade sheet pans should always be used for broiling. Well-seasoned pans shouldn't have food stick to them. Salad spinners are a must as water is the enemy of greens and dressings alike. And yoghurt should always be tizzied up with garlic, seeded and finely diced cucumber and fresh dill. I have him on speed dial and check in - most usually daily - to inquire about this addition, that substitution, his thoughts on everything from emotional well being to the ridiculous notion of mini-kegs of ranch dressing made for one's fridge, to sneakers and wedding dresses, politics and the likes. Nathan and Keith have been by my side for new apartments, new job opportunities, haircuts (good and bad), travels, the journey with my Matthew, and honestly, everything in between.

Nathan is the maestro of relationship management and orchestrator of the grandest of events. Everyone knows Nathan. When Matthew and I were engaged two Novembers ago and needed a venue on the quick (we planned our wedding in some 34 days only thanks to his expert guidance, direction and of course, patience). I called on a Tuesday, and he told us to come to his establishment after work that very same Friday to pick a space in which to get hitched. Together, the three of us selected the quintessential Matthew and Elizabeth room, and quickly checked big ticket items off the list including the magnificent florist, the ever-talented photographer, who so perfectly captured our wishes for urban pictures, the sublime restaurant where we would host our post-nuptials celebratory dinner. I think Nathan was even behind the chef asking his French pal to create us a sweet wedding cake for the night's celebrations. The day before our grand event, Nathan casually called to say he had taken the liberties of hiring an acoustic guitarist to play Tina Turner's Simply the Best as my father walked me down the aisle. None of this could have been executed so elegantly, and in such a time dash, without the prowess of Nathan.

Fast forward three months later, and they joined the Breyer family (because according to Big Teddy, they are family) in New York City for the newlyweds soiree my folks hosted at their Chelsea apartment. The night before, we enjoyed a splendiferous dinner of duck carnitas and the respective accoutrement at the ever-chic Cosme in the Flatiron District of Manhattan. The day after our shindig, we cruised lower Manhattan in the rain and ended up enjoying an early supper at a favorite of the four of ours, Otto. Over Negronis, Italian red, chopped salad, pasta puttanesca and pizzas, we shared tales of the night before. The following month, Nathan brought to life our "Celebration of Marriage" event, once again. My only wishes were a DJ (well this was Matthew's wish really), spectacular flowers, romantic lighting and donuts in addition to our cake. After an incredible tasting, and promises of a magnificent patisserie spread, the day of I entered a small library to see towers upon towers of donuts prepared with affection and care by their talented pastry chef.

Now that Matthew and I are "an old married couple", Nathan and Keith are still very much involved in our lives. We are neighbors living uptown and it is not infrequent that we bump into Nathan crossing the street to work, or Keith walking the dog. Sometimes, when I am doing my occasional solo walking uptown, I receive text messages from Keith asking how in the world can I safely be crossing the street while staring at my phone. I can only assume he has spotted me from a window? Every once in a while, for a good chortle, we stand on the balcony and wave. If I have the pleasure of bumping into Keith in a grocery store - a most fortuitous occasion - he patiently takes me down each aisle showing me what I must buy. Jarred bell peppers for muhammara dip or cambozola anyone? When new restaurants open, we venture there together. Over champagne and other libations, we naughtily giggle about our acumen for critiquing dishes and spaces asking one another, are we the only ones who do this? Just last week, we enjoyed cocktails and multiple courses at uptown's new, Angelines. We shall return, and together. Next Thursday evening, in advance of Thanksgiving, we are doing a pizza and movie night at ours.

Words cannot do justice our wonderful relationship with my two dads. Recently, my mother chimed, "Nathan and Keith really are the best thing that ever happened to you in moving to Charlotte." (Matthew, my dear, I had already met you.) They are our family. They know us intimately. I think Keith coined it best when just one morning this week, following a dynamic conversation the night before, he chimed via text, "Every Hindenburg needs a readjustment in the mooring, occasionally." He was referring to me, of course.

With this, the below is a recipe ala Keith. I texted him last night asking what to do with chicken thighs. He asked if I had garam masala. Yes, I responded. And what follows was not exactly what it should have been (I did not use my food processor to create a paste, which is much better than a marinade as it sticks) but splendiferous all in the same. This tastes great when served along brown rice with sultanas, cumin and pumpkin seeds. You can also add raisins, currants, dried cranberries, dried cherries or Turkish apricots. If you're needing inspiration in the kitchen, just holler and I will put you in touch with Keith. And if you want to host the party of the century, then Nathan is your man.

Curry with Yellow Mustard (For Chicken Thighs)

Make a paste in your food processor or stick blender with:

Ginger 
Garlic
Garam masala
Lime juice
Touch of white vinegar
Yellow mustard
Fresh black pepper
Kosher salt
A little corn or olive oil
As much hot sauce as you like

To Do

Mix everything together (do stop and marvel at the beautiful color) and massage into your chicken thighs. Do be sure to rub it everywhere so each piece is totally coated. Let sit for 30 minutes.

Heat 2 TBS olive oil in a cast iron skillet, and brown the chicken on all sides. This should take around 7-9 minutes per side. Then transfer to an oven at 425 for 15 minutes until no longer pink.

We served ours alongside cauliflower mash dusted with sumac. Bon appetit!












2 comments: