8.13.2015

Neophyte


So it seems that despite considering myself a bit of a technology wunderkind, innovation commands that I readily nurse my learning curve. My wonderful brother Keith reminds me of this regularly. Each and every day, I am thrown curve balls. New channels, hot-off-the-press applications, functionality that the world cannot operate without. Did you know that X and Y exist? My stars, we live in a fast paced space. I remember when my Dad's cellphone was the size of a brick and had to be plugged in. What a spectacle. This week, an online job application commanded that I set up an account with DropBox. Who needs hard drives any longer? 

Yesterday, I finally took advantage of the cloud based office suite Google Docs. Every single day I read about a new app that I need in my life. It's becoming interesting finding what on my SmartPhone. I visited a friend's office recently and nearly went into cardiac arrest when I learned that her firm runs on Apple products. Time to step up my game. I am thrilled with my newish computer but it requires a good measure of patience so I've been participating in sessions at the Apple store quite regularly. In other arenas, I am taking a food photography class tomorrow. I am sure next on the list will be a new SLR camera. Is it time for Santa to visit yet? Moving right along. 

I am having a lovely day thus far. I had a bit of a lie-in this morning, which was very much needed. No shame in this game. I met my second Mom for a delightful lunch at Luna's Living Kitchen. I will continue to sing praises of this charming little place. The vegan fare is inventive, delicious and well priced. I sometimes join friends here for a juice or smoothie after exercise. The Charlie Brown tastes just like a PB and J. I usually opt for the Grey Hulk. I should do their cleanse one of these days soon. For grub, I always vacillate between the living burrito (the hot sauce is sensational) or the avocado and basil sandwich that comes wrapped in a collard leaf. 

I am also partial to the broccoli Waldorf, kale salad and their quinoa millet veggie burgers. The dessert menu is also sublime. After lunch, I took myself over to Not Just Coffee and grabbed a seat at one of the picnic tables with my Americano. The space had a slight breeze and it was so lovely just sitting there for an hour. I need to do this more often. Quiet spaces are brilliant for introspection and reflection. Tomorrow I am taking an early class at a new spin studio in South End. Stay tuned for details. On Sunday, I hope to make it to a Boot Camp in Freedom Park. Next week, I want to give kick boxing a whirl. Never mind that swimsuit season is fast approaching in my rearview mirror, it time to get it in gear.

I prepared the below recipe a pair of weeks ago. A perfect Meatless Monday contender, it was absolutely dynamite. Very simple ingredients to collect, absolutely stock full of delicious vegetables and easy to prepare. Please feel free to get creative with your bounty and incorporate cauliflower, snow peas, garden peas, green peas, broccoli, acorn or butternut squash. You get the idea. You can also throw in organic chicken, shrimp, pork or beef. Whatever you do, add this to the rotation and enjoy.

Thai Red Curry
Adapted from the ever creative and entirely inspiring Wholy Goodness

Ingredients

1 white onion
4 cloves of garlic
3 inch knob of ginger - peeled 
1 tsp red pepper flakes
Stalks from a bunch of coriander - hold onto the leaves
1 can of organic low sodium chick peas - drained
1 large sweet potato - chopped into chunks
1 punnet of mushrooms - carefully washed and chopped haphazardly
*1 small eggplant (the smaller, the sweeter) - chopped
1 small head of radicchio or red cabbage - thinly sliced
2 TBS coconut oil
2 TBS red curry paste
1 can of lite coconut oil
Water
Pinch of salt

For decor:

2 carrots - thinly sliced
Bunch of green onions - chopped
Coriander leaves - chopped
1/4 cup of roasted peanuts - blitzed into crumbles in the food processor

*Eggplants can be tricky little SOB's. For most variations, it is encouraged to generously salt an eggplant before manipulation. This will help pull out the bitterness from the eggplant while seasoning it. So cut up your eggplant and sprinkle generously with half a tablespoon of salt. Let this sit for approximately a half hour. Rinse under cold water, pat dry with towels and you're ready to rock and roll.

Instruction

1. In your food processor, chop the onions, garlic, ginger and coriander stalks. Set aside.

2. In a large vessel (I used my Le Creuset) add your coconut oil over medium high heat. Now gently saute the chopped onions, garlic, ginger and coriander talks. You need around two minutes. Next, add the red curry paste and stir until your kitchen smells glorious; approximately one minute.

3. In go your chick peas and sweet potatoes. Stir to coat with the gorgeously aromatic mess. Add the coconut milk, fill the can with water and pour that in too along with a pinch of salt. Now is a good time to add your mushrooms and eggplant. Bring to a roaring boil, cover and lower to simmer. Let this rumble until everything is cooked. You can test by sticking a fork in it. Mine took approximately 45 minutes. 

4. Dish up and garnish with the decor listed above.

This can be served as is and eaten with a spoon. You can also pour the curry over cauliflower rice, brown rice, white rice or black lentils. Rice noodles would also be delicious. The above yields a lot of curry: dinner for two nights, lunch for one and approximately three snacks for my partner-in-crime. He has a fast metabolism. Insert hey jealousy here.








No comments:

Post a Comment