7.08.2015

Another Corn Number


We are thinking about getting a dog. In truth, we have been talking about it for some time now. There are quite a few topics we have discussed for due time that seem to be in the holding phase. Perhaps the dog scenario will be different. When Matthew was looking at houses back in 2009, he stood on the back porch overlooking the backyard at Reynolds Ranch and said, "I'll take it". The back yard sold him. I believe the enthusiastic response form his realtor was something along the lines of "this yard needs a dog". She is not the only one to make such a remark. Fast forward six years later and no dog as of yet but he did score moi. In recent months, our dog discussions have become a bit more ernest. On Saturday mornings we watch a program on the TV that highlights the different breeds and their varying characteristics. Oh my stars. The both of us have begun independent due diligence. We stop to ask people questions about their dogs. We recently met a lovely Great Dane when in Greenville, SC for the weekend. They are wonderful, docile dogs. When its owner mentioned the amount that they consume and release in just one week, we decided the majestic Great Dane is not the dog for us. Two Tuesdays ago, I met the most adorable Irish Setter puppy whilst walking the Booty Loop. This tiny guy was full of confidence and at 10 weeks old, a gregarious little thing. When I bent down to say hello his little tongue found my hand. I literally melted and it was quite marvelous really. Progress being made.

Full disclosure here: I am not much of a dog person. Growing up dogs terrified me. Dogs that jumped affectionately left me trembling if not near wetting myself. In fact, upon entering a person's home that had dogs, I clung to my mother like a chimpanzee. I didn't like their smell, I was paranoid about dog hair. An animal getting anywhere near me was out of the question. A real diva in the making. My uncle has fond memories of my reaction to meeting their cat for the first time in Cape Town. I think I was two or so and shrilled, "get it away, get it away". This same family had a kind German Shepherd  Sage. Sage never bothered me, even when she ran laps at mach speed around the pool in an effort to keep an eye on we children. My grandfather also had two complacent Dachsunds and they never bothered me either. Honestly, I think they were used to older company and found we children annoying. It even took some time for me to become accustomed to our family dog, Millie. Fast forward to the now, I am warming to the idea. With Matthew's encouragement, I have begun to stop people and ask if I can pet their dogs.  A couple of years ago I never would have done such a thing. This was the most fun in NYC as it seems everyone and their brother has a French Bull Dog or a "Frenchie" as one of our neighbors on West 22nd Street calls them. They are deliciously adorable but apparently remain in the puppy stage for a couple of years. Does anyone have any experience? I also like Labradoodles, English Bull Dogs, Brittanys and Irish Setters. I want small and my partner wants large. Matthew is infatuated with getting a Lab. Golden, chocolate or black, he doesn't discriminate. Growing up in Dallas, neighbors of ours had a black lab. Natasha was buck wild but a happy pup regardless. Anyway, I am sure in due time we will come to an agreement. 

I loved an article from CharlotteFive recently that listed all the places you can go to adopt and foster pets. I spent a pair of hours clicking through sites. So many pets need homes and as such, this introduces a great alternative to the AKC or pet store route. Matthew is a major proponent of adoption; he used to volunteer at the pound. The Breyer's beloved West Highland Terrier, Millie, was a rescue dog. As rumor has it, my father always said absolutely no ways to us having a dog. I suppose growing up in Brooklyn in the 1950s, they were not his thing. Well as the story goes, back in the early 90's he went on a trip to Japan. Whilst away, my mother took my sister's girl scout troop on a field trip to the pound. She spotted an adorable Westie puppy, went home for the night to think about it and the very next day returned to adopt her. #girlpower. We children named her Millie Yoga Love. Michelle, Keith and I were so ahead of the bohemian name curve. My father returned home from the East and we introduced him to the newest member of the family. All was well in the world. 

It's interesting because in the seventeen years of pure joy that Millie brought our family, Theodore was always Millie's favorite. Long past we children running to the backdoor to meet him the evenings, there was Millie. She was a spectacular dog and magnificent companion. Millie was a global K-9. Stewardesses on the Charlotte to Frankfurt route hooked her up. She spent some time in Dallas, Charlotte, Wiesbaden and traveled Europe with my folks. I am happy my mother had her with whom to sprout around town in the many years they lived abroad. Did you know that dogs are often times more welcome than children in restaurants in Germany? Restaurant owners bring them bowls of water when they deliver drinks to their guests. I won't even tell you what the butchers do. Fact. Until then, I am open to any suggestions you may have for dogs. I definitely want a puppy. Matthew tells me that this will mandate more work but I am ready for it. He can manage the discipline and I will be there for cuddles and affection. 

Pets aside, this roasted corn salad recipe is lovely and perfect for all your cookout and dinner shenanigans. It's no secret that I love chick peas so throw them in. I served our salad alongside hanger steak. I cannot seem to get enough red meat these days but it would also pair beautifully with chicken, pork tenderloin and grilled peaches or whatever else your grill needs. I hope you and yours enjoyed a spectacular long holiday weekend. I certainly did and have a nice tan to boot. Bon appetit. 

Roasted Corn, Chick Pea and Avocado Salad

Goodies

1 cup corn - you can use fresh or frozen - for the sake of time, I used frozen
1 can organic chick peas - I like the Whole Foods 365 brand (they are uber cheap too) rinsed
1 cup basil - chopped
1 avocado - peeled and chopped
3 cloves garlic - chopped
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp red pepper flakes
2 TBS extra virgin olive oil
The juice of 1 lemon
A pinch of kosher salt - more if you see fit
Pepper

Trick-or-Treat

1. In a pan over high heat, add 1 TBS extra virgin olive oil. When the oil begins to shimmer, add your cup of corn and 1 teaspoon of cumin. Be sure to stir regularly. Once your corn begins to pop, take it off the heat and add to a large bowl. Let this cool.

2. To this same bowl add everything else. Gently toss and season to taste. 



No comments:

Post a Comment