3.13.2015

Oy Vey Mia


So I am feeling pretty awesome right now. Insert sarcasm here. I am writing from the epicenter of North Ocean Boulevard on my Mom's PC. Yesterday evening, my Dad peered over my shoulder to have a peek into my Beets and Bratwurst world. I eagerly awaited profound feedback and proudly drew air into my chest. In lieu of praise he instead asked if I thought my teeth in the MEET ELIZABETH photograph (glance to your right) look like I am wearing dentures. False teeth. Nothing like constructive feedback. I heart Theodore. What do we think? I had just gotten my braces off and was grinning like a chesire cat. Having braces in your 30's is no picnic. In lieu of straight teeth for the second time (I wore braces for about five years during my youth), with the money spent I could have secured an insane pair of diamond earrings. Alas, a sound bite is clearly more important for maintaining the integrity of my gums and the baubles can wait. My 40th is only 5 years away. Exhale. At my sister's wedding last May, those who did not know me were directed to "the one with braces". My favorite photographs are those where I am grinning broadly and there is food in the metal. No one told me. Alas, the bliss associated with ignorance. C'est la vie. In the blog photograph, my hair is also uber short. Perhaps it is time for an updated head shot. Allora. 

Jest aside, I am feeling awesome for real reason as I abstained from livery last night. This morning my mother commended me for being marvelous company. Apparently I was calm, quiet and docile. No foul language or breathless outbursts. Yikes. Perhaps I need to be giving myself time outs. I did insert that the evening was without the usual inappropriate jokes and laughter. I slept like a lamb. No night sweats or dreams that I am a housekeeper to a dastardly ex-boss. This is a repetitive one that is quite vexatious. Not because I am cleaning but rather a cause of the company. During my recess, I have become a master house cleaner. I am a bit embarrassed to admit that I never took the time to mop my floors but now I am the boss on our hardwoods. I do it weekly. Our house has never looked better. During my recess, I think a certain someone enjoys walking through the door to a home that smells like Pinesol and a hot meal buzzing. These are the days.

Weather today is overcast and I am planning on a long run. We shall see as the beach and my Julia Child book are also calling my name. My mother was up early and there are beautiful glasses of fresh squeezed blood orange juice awaiting thirsty patrons. Bonjour. Last night we grilled fish and I found the below recipe in one of my weekly New York Times emails. I thought the photograph to be magnificent and I had to duplicate. Imitate we did and it was outstanding. During one of my Julia Child reads this week, I was drawn to one of her valuable lines: "No one is born a great cook, one learns by doing. This is my invariable advice to people: Learn how to cook - try new recipes, learn from your mistakes, be fearless, and above all have fun!" My mother is a believer that if you can read, you can cook. There you go. Listen to your mother - or mine!

Roasted Carrot Salad with Blood Oranges

Let's Break It Down

Carrots
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin (toast lightly in a pan on high heat)
2 lbs of carrots, cut the ends off and clean them nicely. No need to peel. Cut into 5" pieces.
1 bay leaf
1 head of garlic cut in half
A couple of sprigs of fresh rosemary
1/4 cup of good quality extra virgin olive oil
Kosher salt and pepper

Vinaigrette
2 teaspoon ground cumin (toast lightly in a pan on high heat)
3 blood oranges juiced
1 TBS white wine vinegar
1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
Kosher salt and pepper

Greek Yogurt
1 cup of Greek yogurt (I used a low fat variant)
Juice of one lemon

The Salad
1/4 red onion sliced thin
2 TBS chopped, toasted almonds or walnuts
2 blood oranges, cut into supremes
1 TBS finely chopped parsley
1 TBS finely chopped tarragon
1 TBS finely chopped parsley
Kosher salt

Let's Dance

1. Toast the cumin in a pan until the spice scents your kitchen. Set aside.

2. In a large pan or ovenproof dish, add your carrots, garlic, rosemary, bay leaf, cumin and olive oil. Give everything a generous mix until carrots are glossy followed by a couple of pinches of kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper. Roast at 400 degrees for 45 minutes or until carrots are soft and caramelized. Once the timer rings, remove the bay leaf, rosemary, garlic and let the carrots cool. You need around ten minutes.

3. Now for the vinaigrette. Mix the blood orange juice, vinegar, cumin, olive oil and a pinch of salt in a large mixing bowl. Pour this over the carrots to coat.

4. Vigorously mix the Greek yogurt, juice of one lemon and a pinch of salt. 

5. Now for the fun part. Spoon the Greek yogurt onto a large serving platter. Next comes the carrots on top followed by the chopped red onion and toasted almonds and finally the blood orange pieces. Sprinkle the herbs on the top. Two generous pinches of kosher salt.

Kids, this not only tastes fabulous but the appearance is truly a work of art. We served ours with grilled wild Scottish salmon but I know this would be the business with steaks or lamb chops. Guten appetit.















No comments:

Post a Comment